Android’s latest distribution numbers show KitKat is still dominating

BY Evan Selleck

Published 2 Feb 2016

Android Feb 2016 distribution

Every month, Google typically releases its Android distribution numbers to show where the platform and its various versions stand.

For a period of seven days ending on February 1, 2016, Google’s latest Android distribution numbers show that at least one variant of the operating system is still holding strong to its dominant position, but others are starting to climb the ranks. The distribution chart only goes back to as far as Android 2.2 Froyo, because the test is only performed on devices that support the new Google Play Store app.

Breaking the numbers down, Android 4.4 KitKat still holds the top spot on the chart, with a total of 35.5% of the pie. Just below that, though, is Android 5.0 – 5.1 Lollipop, which sits at 17.0% percent and 17.1%, respectively, for a total of 34.1 percent. Android 6.0, Marshmallow, the newest version of the platform is still rising, now positioned at 1.2% with more devices on the way running that particular version.

Android 4.1.x – 4.3 Jelly Bean holds 23.9% of distribution, while Android 4.0.3 – 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich is holding 2.5%. Android 2.3.3 – 2.3.7 Gingerbread is now at 2.7 percent, and, finally, Android 2.2 Froyo is now at 0.1% of total distribution.

Which version of Android is your daily driver running?

[via Android Developer Portal]