OnePlus may have inadvertently created the ultimate smartphone kill switch.
A post and images reporting the issue first appeared on the OnePlus forums. They have since moved to a support page which requires a OnePlus account to view.
Carl Pei, the director of OnePlus Global, apologized and said the company would be reaching out to the owner.
"We are very sorry to see one of our users had to experience this with their device as the safety of our customers is our first and foremost concern. We have already contacted MiYzu to learn more about his condition, as well as dispatched OnePlus staff to physically retrieve back the phone. This way, we can determine the circumstances surrounding this so that we may work to prevent this happening in the future," he said in a statement published at Android Police.
Exploding phone batteries are not exceptionally rare. A Samsung Galaxy S4 caught fire under a sleeping 13-year-old's pillow earlier this year. A burning iPhone caused a flight to be rerouted after it was seen burning a passenger's bag.
Such spontaneous combustion has usually occurred when the device was in a pocket, bag, or otherwise tucked away. Excessive heat can create a chemical reaction in the lithium battery.
Unfortunately for OnePlus, this is only its most recently apology, as the company had to back down from a sexist campaign asking women to post selfies on its forums, asking men to up-vote the prettiest ones for the eligibility to buy a phone.
OnePlus also just issued a fix for a bug draining battery life. The phone has also been plagued by late updates and a cumbersome purchasing system.